More Geologic Goodies on South
Mineral Resources of South
South Carolina's mineral resources are mainly
crushed stone, sand & gravel, various clays and some industrial metals.
to Find Gems in South Carolina
Abbeville County: Zircon, garnet and
corundum are available at "pay to dig" sites. At "pay to dig''
sites permission ·is needed.
Anderson County: Beryl, zircon and amethyst can be had at
"pay to dig" sites.
Cherokee County: Near the town of Cowpens and the town of
Gaffney off of US 85 the gem
hunter can find garnet, tourmaline and quartz.
Greenville County: The gem kyanite along with smoky and clear
quartz, sillimanite, garnet and tourmaline can all be found at "pay to dig" sites .
McCormick County: Near the town of Iva the gem hunter may find
beryl, and golden beryl at
"pay to dig" areas.
Oconee County: Gems to be found are cats eye, sillimanite,
quartz and garnet.
Spartanburg County: Garnet, tourmaline, and quartz.
York County: Zircon, corundum, garnet, tourmaline, and quartz.
Geological Societies in South Carolina
- Grand Strand Fossil Club 519 7th Avenue South, Surfside Beach, SC
- Aiken - Aiken Gem and Mineral Society 3424 Meadow Dr. (29801)
Meetings: Last Fri., 8:00 pm USC-Aiken, Room 200 Science Hall 171 University
- Central - Pendleton District Gem and Mineral Society 124 Hedge St.
(29630) Meetings: 3rd Tue., 7:00 pm Blue Ridge Art Assc., Seneca
- Charleston - Low Country Gem and Mineral Society 2149 Glendale
Dr(29414) Meetings: 2nd Thur. American Legion Post 166 116 Howerthru Rd.,
Goose Creek Updated 8/17/97
- Columbia - South Carolina Earth Antiquities Society PO Box 7712
Columbia, SC 29202 E-mail
contact: Gary Ogg Meetings: 3rd Sun. at 5:00 PM Place: McKissick Museum
at the University of SC Updated 7/22/97
- Columbia - Columbia Gem and Mineral Society PO Box 6333 (29260)
Meetings: 3rd Mon, 7:15 pm McKissick Museum, 816 Bull St
- Greenville - Western South Carolina Gem and Mineral Society 302
Shannon Dr. (29615-1815) Meetings: 2nd Mon, 7:30 pm Sears Shelter 100 E.
Park Avenue, Greenville
- Johns Island - Charles Towne Mineral and Lapidary Club PO Box 902
Johns Island, SC 29455 Meetings: 3rd Fri., 7:00 pm Fort Johnson Marine
Resources Labratory Updated Nov 1, 1997
- Spartanburg - Pacolet Gem and Mineral Society PO Box 674 (29304)
Meetings: 2nd and 4th Tue., 7:30 pm TW Edwards Recreation Center Pacolet
for this website included pamphlets from the various places we visited and the
Rocks! by Carolyn Hanna Murphy