Bethesda Southern Methodist Church
Oak Grove, Dillon County, SC
Brief history by Victoria Proctor
Bethesda was organized about 1850 by Edmund Herring, the first pastor, in a brush arbor started by
Christopher Dew II on Squire Kirby's land. Charter members were Bryant Lane, Christopher Dew,
Frank Greenwood, Samuel J. Berry, Jr., B.F. Hayes, Sr., Willis Fore, Sr., William (Bill) Lundy, Sr.,
Stephen B. Lane, John H. Tart, Tom Tart, H. Tart, Ben Weatherford, and the Reverend Eben Hayes.
About 1855, Dr. Ben Fladger donated the use of his old store building and this served the
congregation for ten years. After the Civil War, a frame building was constructed on Bryant Lane's
land, which is the present  site of the church.
--Source: Stokes, "The History of Dillon County, South Carolina"
The following newspaper extract was contributed by Helen Moody, 16 July 2001:
"Pastors and Church Members of Long Ago"
Bethesda (Oak Grove) September 19, 1935 issue of The Dillon Herald, Dillon,
Eben Hayes. L. P.
James C. Wise
C. B. Dew
S. W. Johnson
Jane R. Bass
Martha A. Bethea
Martha Ann Bethea
Julia Ann Tart
Mary E. Tart
M. J. Lyster
See also Bethesda Cemetery Transcriptions
Back to Dillon County Methodist Churches
Back to Dillon County Churches
Dillon County Cemeteries
Dillon County History and Genealogy
Copyright © 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2011 Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.
This WEB page is intended solely for the private, non-commercial
use of researchers, and may not be copied, altered, converted or uploaded to
any electronic system, BBS, Message Board, Mailing list, or web site, nor included in any software collection or print collection
of any type without the express written permission of the author. These electronic pages
may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other individuals or organizations.