Mount Andrew United Methodist Church
Floydale, Dillon County, SC
BRIEF HISTORY by Victoria Proctor
Located at Floydale, this congregation originated as the Buck Swamp Society, and was probably
one of the twenty-two such Methodist groups organized in 1786. The first services were held in a log
house about one mile west of the residence of W.J. Page, and then were moved to a site on the south
side of Buck Swamp near the home of Rowland Roberts. A third move was to the north side of the swamp
near the Henry Bascom Floyd home. The building erected was known as Price's Meeting House and,
according to tradition, Bishop Francis Asbury once preached in it. The next removal was to a site
approximately one-half mile north of the Buck Swamp Bridge on the road leading from Marion to Dillon.
The large log house erected was known as Moody's Meeting House, and services were well attended. In
1844, this structure was replaced by a frame building and the name of Mount Andrew chosen in honor
of Bishop Andrew. The Dumbarton Presbyterian Church was later built on this site. In 1880, a new
church building was erected two miles further west on land donated by Zilphia Roberts Floyd and her
family. In 1918, the building was razed and a new church built in Floydale.
--Source: Stokes, "The History of Dillon County, South Carolina"
The following newspaper extract was contributed
by Helen Moody, 16 July 2001:
"Pastors and Church Members of Long Ago"
Moody's (Mt Andrews) September 19, 1935 issue of Dillon Herald, Dillon, SC
William Page, C. L.
Jesse Moody, C. L. & EX
Hugh Moody, L. P.
Peter Dove, C.L.
Martha D. Campbell
For a list of burials at the church cemetery, see
Mt. Andrew Cemetery Transcriptions
Back to Dillon County Methodist Churches
Back to Dillon County Churches
Dillon County Cemeteries
Dillon County History and Genealogy
Copyright © 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2011 Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.