THE LATTA LIBRARY
In 1911 W.C. Allen led a movement for a public library in Latta and was authorized by the town
council to negotiate with Andrew Carnegie for funds. After the town complied with conditions
set by Mr. Carnegie, he donated $5,000.00 and C.F. Bass of Latta gave land for the building,
which opened as the Latta Library in 1914. Voters in a valid election levied a tax for
maintenance. A rear portion and north wing were added later.