OLD LATTA POST OFFICE
In May 1888, a United States Post Office was authorized for Latta. Frank M. Monroe
supervised the mail service until Robert Rose Bethea was officially appointed postmaster in July 1890.
Mr. Bethea was a respected African American merchant, who distributed the mail from a latticed
corner of his store on Main Street.
The photo at right shows the original Post Office building, a one-room weatherboard structure and
the first stand-alone post office.
Original photo owned and contributed
by Sheila Berry, March 2002
modified version by Victoria Proctor Copyright 2002. All rights reserved.