OLD EBENEZER CHURCH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION
to be held June 14-15, 1986
The church began in 1786 when two Methodist Circuit Riders (Hull and Mastin) started
26 meeting houses between Cheraw and Georgetown, most under brush arbors. Later,
meetings were held in homes, then in a log cabin church, and in 1855 a church was
built near the present site of Old Ebenezer in Marion County, SC.
A woods fire destroyed that building in 1855 and the present building was
built in 1856. Services were discontinued in 1966. In 1968, the Ebenezer Memorial
and Historical Association was formed.
Families known to have attended Ebenezer during the 1800's were:
ALLEN, ALTMAN, BAILEY, BASS, BERRY, BRADY, BREEDON, BROWN, BRYANT, BULLOCK,
CAMPBELL, COLEMAN, COLLINS, DEW, DILLON, ELLERBE, FINKLEA, FORE,
GODBOLD, HARRELSON, HOLIDAY, HORTON, JERNIGAN, JOHNSON, JONES,
LAMB, LANE, LEE, McINTYRE, McLELLAN, MILES, MITCHELL, MOODY, MOORE,
PLATT, POPE, PORTER, QUINN, ROGERS, SANDERSON, SMITH, STACKHOUSE, STEWARD,
TAYLOR, TURBEVILLE, WATSON, and WELCH.
[Author of 1986 leaflet unknown. Text edited and reformatted by Victoria Proctor, 2003.]
Back to Marion Churches
Old Ebenezer Church Cemetery
Copyright © 2003, 2005, 2011 Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.
This WEB page is intended solely for the private, non-commercial
use of researchers, and may not be copied, altered, converted or uploaded to
any electronic system, BBS, Message Board, Mailing list, or web site, nor included in any software collection or print collection
of any type without the express written permission of the author. These electronic pages
may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations.