Revolutionary War
Pension Application of

Pension Application of Loftis R. MUNNERLYN
Contributed February 2000
by Francine Jones


Declarations made by Loftis R. Munnerlyn in making application for a Revolutionary War pension under the act of Congress passed June seventh, 1832.

Loftis R. Munnerlyn made two declarations in applying for his pension. Because his military records were destroyed by a wind storm in 1822 it was necessary that the applications take the form of depositions or declarations recorded in a State and District Court.

The first was made in October, 1833. For some unknown reason it was not acted on. After waiting three years and eight months he made a second one.

Shortly after the second application the pension was approved but was based on the first Declaration and bears the identification number S-18136. It was for eighty dollars per annum commencing with retroactive date March 4, 1831.

The content of the two are much alike in substance. In some places they complement each other. They reflect good retention of facts and events, without the benefit of historical documents, after a lapse of over sixty years.

FIRST DECLARATION (wording, spelling, structure, and punctuation same as original manuscripts).


On this the sixteenth day of October Anno Domini 1833 personally appeared in open court Loftis R. Munnerlyn, before me, Richard Gautt, one of the circuit Judges of the said State and presiding Judge in the Court of Common pleas in and for the District of Marion and State aforesaid who being duly sworn maketh oath to the following Declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress passed on the seventh of June, 1832. That he was born in the District and State aforesaid and is now and ever has been a citizen resident in the same District and State - that he was born on the thirteenth day of July, 1753 and was eighty years old last July.

When the Milita was drafted into three Classes for the purpose of being called into service he was drafted in the first but by whose order he is unable to state. Some time in the spring of that year he was marched off under the command of Capt. Jacob Buckholts and at Lynches Creek his company was joined by Capt. DuBose company from Darlington District - they were marched to See-Wee Bay to prevent the landing of the British who were hovering on the coast - He remained there two months when he was discharged and returned home - the detachment was commanded by Major Thornly and it was shortly before the attack upon Fort Moultrie near Charleston. He remained at home two months when he was again ordered to march to Charleston and did so under the command of Capt. James Munnerlyn (his brother) Majr. Thornly and Col. Sam Benton. Upon reaching Haddrills point Col. Benton returned home and declarant was stationed in Charleston two months performing principally guard duty - at the expiration of that time he was discharged and returned home where he remained two months when he was again drafted and marched to Lynchs Causeway under the command of Capt. John Munnerlyn - Thornly was his Major, Benton his colonel and the whole under the command of General McIntosh and the troops were at Lynches Causeway when Charleston was taken by the British - he had been at that place one month when Charleston was taken by the British - they were then ordered to march in the direction of Camden to form a junction with Gates Army - a great many soldiers deserted on the march and some discharged which reduced the detachment from 600 to about 60 and at the time of Gates defeat he was of the few who were faithful and was in hearing of the firing. On the day after the battle Gen. McIntosh having learnt the result of the engagement discharged his men. He returned home. Many of the Militia had to march off to No. Carolina but he did not go but remained lying out in the swamps and woods in Marion District. Some time after his return hearing the Francis Marion was raising a party he with his four brothers and three others joined Marion and were among the first who assisted in forming "Marions Brigade" at the time he joined Gen. Marion he was commanded by his Brother John Munnerlyn Thornly for Majr and John Ervin was the Colonel he remained with Marion for about Nine months when he returned home on furlough but did not remain at home more than one or two hours when he returned to camp. His family lived in midst of Tories and he was safest in camp his fathers house was unroofed by the Tories and Genl. Marion sent a group of thirty men who removed Declarants father and mother who were aged in the vicinity of the redoubt which is situated on the right bank of the PeeDee river opposite Snows Island from the time of the formation of Marions Brigade to the time he was dischared and the Brigade disbanded he was continually in the service with Marion as a private soldier and never absent from duty, except for short periods when on furlough which were rarely asked for or desired, the camp being the only place of safety. During the time the Declarant was with Marion he was in the following engagements and skirmishes, Viz: The first was with the Tories at Blue Savannah in Marion District the Tories were commanded by Capts. Right Wall and Benj. A. Lewis and Majr. Micajah Gainey in which the Tories were entirely defeated and routed. The second was with the Tories in the fork of Black river declarants Regiment was then commanded by Col. John Boucher, the third was with the British at Smiths bridge below Quimby and declarants party was commanded by Colonels Richardson and Screven, a part of Lees Cavalry and a part of Mayhews were of the party and they were commanded by Major Giles. The fourth was the attack and capture of the Fort at Monks Corner a small detachment from Marions Brigade of which declarant was one, was commanded by Majr Estes. The fifth was an engagement with the British at Cooshatchee bridge in which the Americans were compelled to retreat. the sixth was the attack and capture of Fort defiance on the Congaree river in the night time. The seventh engagement was with the British at Eutaw Springs. The declarant further states that during the war he was commanded by Capains James and John Munnerlyn, John Rogers, DuBose, Black. Majors Thornly, Richard Green, Jno James and Hugh Horry. Colonels Benton, Ervin, Screven, Richardson, Swinton, Barber and Peter Horry but declarant is unable to state with anything like certainty the particular times he was commanded by these Services or the years in which these services that the declarant is without Education can neither read or write and that he from old age and consequent loss of memory is unable to state more particularly than he has done. The Declarant states positively and unequivocally that he was in actual service more than three years during the American Revolutionary War. The Declarant further states that he does not know that any of the soldiers who served with him in Marions Brigade are now alive and whose attendance can be procured to attend but John Booth. He hereby relinquishes any claim whatsoever to a pension or annuity, except the present and declares that his name is not on the pension roll of the agency of any State whatsoever.

                                          Loftis         X       Munnerlyn

The foregoing Declaration sworn to and subscribed before me in open court the day and year above written

                               Richard Gautt

(John Booth makes his sworn statement that he was acquainted with Loftis R. Munnerlyn and that he was with Marion and Munnerlyn was with him in severals of the engagements and that he knew his four brothers who were also with Marion. There are also statements from Benjamin Holt,a Clergyman and William Woodberry stating that they are well acquainted with deponent and believe him to be of the age he claims and that he is reputed in the neighborhood and believed to have been a soldier of the Revolution. Edw. B. Wheeler makes statement that the foregoing contained the original proceedings of the court.)


South Carolina
Marion District

On this the 28th day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty seven before the Honorable Josiah J. Evans, one of the Judges of the Court of Common Pleas and Session in and for the Said State, personally appeared Loftis R. Munnerlyn in open court who upon oath made the following declaration in order to obtain a Pension under the act of Congress passed the 7th day of June in the year of our Lord Eighteen hundred and thrity two viz: That he has no record of his age, that it was recorded in a large Bible in his father's house but that during the war the Tories robbed his father's house and took every thing pretty well off, the Bible amongst the rest when they even ripped the bed open and let out the feathers and carried away the ticks, that he can give no correct and certain statement as to the date of his birth but thinks he is eighty six years old, That he was born in this Marion District in said State where he has always lived up to this time, That the first service he rendered in the Revolutionary War was to volunteer for one month, and served at SeeWee Bay near Charleston under one Captain Thornwell he does not certainly recollect any other company officers but believes one DuBose was an under officer that Major James was there, that at the time he so volunteered he was not quite sixteen years old, That not long after he returned from SeeWee bay he was drafted for two months and served that time principally at Hadrill's Point, sometimes at Cane h--p and other places in the neck. That the Captain of his company was John Munnerlyn the brother of the applicant, That one Windham(?) was a Major then, that he cannot now recollect any other officers That not long after he returned from Hadrell's point he was drafted again for two months and served that time mostly in Charleston. The he cannot recollect any company officer certainly but thinks Daniel Dubose was Captain. That they were put under a Major in Town whose name he does not recollect. That at or about the expiration of the said two months he and others continued for two months longer without any draft and were marched out under one Col ----- to Lynch's Causeway between the two Santees that there was apprehension that the town would be besieged and that they could not get out. That when they arrived at Lynch's Causeway he was put under Col. Baxter and General McIntosh. That when the British took the Town he was marched toward Camden and arrived within eight miles but before they got farther they learned that the British had possession of the Town and had fought Gates and defeated his troops, that he heard the cannon at the Battle of Camden and when his commanding officer heard of Gates' defeat they discharged their forces and told them that every man would have to shift for himself; That he was in the service at last aforesaid four months in all. That after he returned home General Marion undertook (to) raise a parcel of men to try to prevent the British from scattering out from Charleston and doing mischief about the country. That he volunteered his services and went with Marion, that the first engagement he was in with Marion was at Blue Savannah near where this deponent lives against the Tories. It was a small engagement in which but one Tory was killed named Matthew Allen. That a few days before the said engagement the Tories had taken this deponents father and had him prisoner, that upon hearing where they were embodied and had his father, himself and four brothers went to General Marion and told him and desired him to assist them in getting their father, that Marion replied he had but sixty men and that there was said to be about five hundred Tories. That upon himself and his brothers expressing a determination to get their father Marion said he would go with them with what men he had. That upon arriving at said Blue Savannah about day break the Tories were sitting and lying around their fires, that the said Matthew Allen was sitting at the fire smoking a pipe when Marions men fired on them and he got shot. The Tories then dispersed and broke into the swamp. That Marion then on the same day marched his men and this deponent with them about three miles to McFadden's old field where there was a body of Tories stationed commanded by one Capt. Ben Lewis and Major Garvey(?) and attacked them in the day time, fell upon them and dispersed them, killed none but wounded several. That the first engagement the deponent's father was recovered when the Tories were fired upon (he) ran to Marion's company. Thereafter that he stayed with Marion constantly being afraid to go home. If he were so disposed for he knew that the Tories would kill him. That he was with Marion at the retaking ------ of Georgetown. That Marion accomplished that as follows: The day ---- before he had cart wheels on which he mounted peeled --- logs already blackened so as to resemble cannon, threw up an intrenchment on the east (or out) side of town by the aid of plantation negroes (amongst whom was a yellow fellow who was said to have furnished cattle and provisions to the British, upon which Marion had him hung) That upon the British discovering the embankment and long cannon they took a fright supposing it to be large cannon and fled from the town, that General Marion then sent this deponent as the commander of a detachment of men to take possession of their fort which he did and guarded when (where?) they found several barrels of English peas and rice poured out of the barrels and ----also a good deal of meat, that the British went aboard of their vessels and sailed off down toward the island and remained there some time. That from then he went under Marion and was with him in taking a fort made by the British called Rebel's defiance. That afterwards he went under Marion and was with him in taking Monks Corner and returned back on Santee, back to Snows Island, from there he went on to near about Georgetown, kept a guard about them but could not do any thing. He was in the following battles at the battle at Coosahatchie Bridge under the command of James Munnerlyn (and) of John Munnerlyn who were Captains in the service under General Marion, but he was changed about so often that he cannot now recollect with certainty in which of the two companies he was at time. He was in the Battle at smiths (?) Bridge commanded by Major Giles here the Americans were defeated, Company dispersed, Deponent thrown from his horse and injured and was taken prisoner. He did not remain long a prisoner but upon the first opportunity mounted his horse and made his escape the enemy firing upon him as long as he was within gun shot. Had a brust with the British at a place called Chooby-finney (?) where some of the British were killed, the Americans had to retreat finding the enemy had received a reinforcement. He was engaged in a fight with the Tories in the fork of Black River where they had a big dinner cooked. When we took them on surprise they were hooping and holloing and were saying they wished they knew where Marion was they'd make a riddle of his hide; we made them fly and took their dinner from them, with guns, saddles and bridles. Some of them were (?) in the river and drowned. He was at this time under the command of John Rogers as his Captain. He was then in a battle at Quimbee (?) Bridge with the British under Capt. John Munnerlyn in Genl. Marion's command, and about the same length of time he was a commissary. He had discharges at sundry times, but in a great gale or storm in the year 1822 his trunk was blown away with all his papers. He has no documentary evidence of his services and does not recollect the names of any other officers beside those which he has mentioned. He has lived in Marion District from his birth to the present time and he is now unable to work for himself. He hereby releases all claim to any pension from the United States Government except the present and declares that his name is not on the Pension Roll of any agency of any State.

                                            Loftis R.    X      Munnerlyn

Sworn to in open court
before me March 28, 1827*
Ed. B. Wheeler

*Evidently this date was a clerical error. It was 1837.

Graphics by Victoria

Back to Marion Revolutionary War page

Back to Marion County Homepage

Published by Victoria Proctor, © 2000-2011. All rights reserved.
All material contributed to this site remains the property of the contributor. These electronic pages, however, may NOT be copied, altered, converted or uploaded to any electronic system or BBS, message board, mailing list or web site, nor included in any software collection or print collection of any type without the express written permission of the author.