Clifton

In 1881, the first mill of Clifton Manufacturing was opened by Dexter Converse and Company.

In 1889, Clifton Mill No.2 began operation about three-fourths of a mile below No. 1.

On June 6, 1903, the Pacolet River, swollen by several days of rain and a final cloudburst, swept through Clifton, rising to the level of the top floor of the mill.  Fifty lives were lost.  Clifton Mill No. 1 was damaged beyond repair.

Clifton Mill No. 2 as it looks today. 

 

Back