The first Snipes of this family came from England, some time before the Revolution, and was a
Baptist preacher' his wife was a Miss Cox, from Ireland; they settled near Tyrrel Bay Church, now
the Gibson estate, there is a creek on the Gibson estate, now known by the name of Snipes Branch or Creek.
These Snipes sold their lands and moved up on Little Reedy Creek, below Marian, near the Reedy Creek
Baptist church, and some of the Snipes family has ever since owned these lands. This Baptist divine,
whose name was Daniel, had a son by the name of Joseph (it is not stated whether he had other sons or
not)... it is not stated to whom Captain Snipes married; he had five sons and two daughters; the sons
were James, Daniel, Nelson, Thomas and William; the daughters were Jane and Mary
--A History of Marion County, W.W. Sellers (1902)
Back to Marion County
Back to Dillon County
Copyright © 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.
This WEB page and its contents, except where otherwise noted on the page, are copyrighted
by Victoria Proctor and may not be copied, altered, converted or uploaded to
any electronic system or BBS, nor included in any software collection or print collection
of any type without the express written permission of the author. These electronic pages
may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations.